Tuesday, June 3, 2008

It is Nice to be Nice.

It is always nice to show interest in another's profession. To maybe even use it as a way to connect with the other person.

Clearly, it is nice to go out of your way to be nice. I'm sure some mom has even said, "It is nice to be nice." Might even be a vague memory from my childhood.

But anyway...

That must have been my thinking this morning when I was in a surgical suite for a procedure. Yes, da da da dum --- pause --- a procedure. You know that it is on the outskirts of polite conversation if it is a procedure. Someone was going to have to do something I wouldn't want to do, so I figured why not at least be pleasant with him.

That I did.

I mentioned what I thought would be interesting about his job. Asked a couple questions. Listened to the answers and with a slight tilt of my head gave a "hmmm... that's interesting" look. Then we each got to doing what we needed to do. My part was easiest - I went to sleep.

Well, when I woke up everything was nearly done. Once he knew I was fully awake, because of my previous interest, the doctor narrated the remainder of the [da da da dum] procedure. Not only that, but he told me that he had taken lots of pictures for me.

And, indeed, he had. He even labelled them. They are sitting right next to me this very moment. In living color, next to my forearm are images of my colon.

Funny thing is, right now the thought, "It is nice to be nice," isn't foremost in my mind; rather, the thing that keeps coming to mind is a simple, "Ewwwwwwwww."

Thanks, Doc.

No comments: