WASHINGTON— The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops has received approval (recognitio) from the Holy See’s Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments for the new English-language translation of the Order of Mass (Ordo Missae).
- et cum spiritu tuo is rendered as “And with your spirit” [Instead of "And also with you," this will be the response of the people when the priest says, "Peace be with you."]
- In the Confiteor, the text “through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault” has been added [In the Penitential Rite "through my own fault'' will be replaced.]
- The Gloria has been translated differently and the structure is different from the present text [“Peace to his people on earth” becomes “Peace on earth to people of good will.”]
- In the Preface dialogue the translation of “Dignum et justum est” is “It is right and just” [Instead of the current "It is right to give him thanks and praise,"]
- The first line of the Sanctus now reads “Holy, Holy, Holy Lord God of hosts” [Instead of "Holy, Holy, Holy Lord God of power and might."]
- The response of the people at the Ecce Agnus Dei is “Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed” [Instead of "I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed."]
At this time, no date is available as to when the entire translation of the Roman Missal will be released.
For more information, click HERE to see the Catholic News Service's article about the changes.