Monday, September 1, 2008

$65 Million for MDA, but One of Jerry's Kids is Crying

Hey, Jerry -

First, Congratulations on raising the record amount of $65 million for MDA. Truly impressive.

That said, I have to tell you that one of your "kids" is crying.

One of your kids is crying out for MDA to stop funding research that involves embryonic stem cells. Please listen to the cries.

I have Myotonia Dystrophia. One of the neuromuscular diseases that you have so admirably been fighting to eradicate.

I've been symptomatic since birth. I can't say that I've ever experienced a normal life. Nor can I say that I'd wish this on anyone. I can, however, wholeheartedly say that I would much rather not see one embryo damaged to change even a whole year of my life.

Oh, I'd love it if my son had a non-dystrophic mother, but not at the expense of the cells of a human being that might otherwise have developed to be a mother herself.

Mr. Lewis all of America has witnessed the love you have so very generously showered upon the young children helped by MDA's services. As I'm sure your heart has been touched by the amazing smiles that come from the shining faces of children whose bodies have been twisted by muscular dystrophy, my heart has tugged as I've sat in clinic watching these sweet innocent kids and their parents when they've come in for services. I can't imagine that you'd want a human life harmed.

Embryonic stem cell research is toying with human embryos. It harms human life.

Please, sir, as one of your kids, I ask you to please ask the Muscular Dystrophy Association to develop guidelines that assure that research respects that very essence of human life. Please.

No comments: